Short-term specialist support and treatment for those aged 70+ who are experiencing a mental health crisis. Provides a rapid response, time-limited intervention for older adults in a mental health crisis, delivered in a person’s home.
Service can provide:
- Daily home visits for support and treatment for up to six weeks
- Support 365 days of the year
- Multidisciplinary assessment
- Support and advice for family carers
- Medication management
- Occupational Therapy
- Treatment for physical health issues
- Support to facilitate early discharge for inpatients mental health wards (e.g. Highgate Mental Health Centre)
The service aims to assess within 4 hours of receiving a referral (depending on the identified risks) and work with clients for a period up to 6 weeks, with initially daily visits if tolerated, with an aim to reduce these gradually.
The team consists of mental health nurses, 2 OT's and a support worker, with input from a consultant psychiatrist (0.5 WTE).
- Patients aged 70+
- Patients with confirmed diagnosis of dementia (if the patient is under 70 but has non-alcohol related dementia we would accept the referral)
- Those at risk of admission to Highgate Mental health Centre during a mental health crisis (both functional and organic clients)
How to refer