The Common Assessment Framework (CAF) is an assessment and planning tool, common across agencies, to ensure children and their families are supported effectively. CAF can be used for:
- concerns about how well a child is progressing (e.g. health, welfare, behaviour, progress in learning)
- needs are unclear or broader than one service can address
The electronic eCAF system enables professionals to:
- search for a child and find out the contact details of the lead professional or any other professionals currently working with this child, including allocated social worker;
- find out if a CAF has already been started by another practitioner;
- share relevant assessment information securely with a relevant team or other professional and to request their involvement;
- share and contribute to a joint action plan to enable better co-ordinated working.
GP practices can have a practice account set up.