Prepare for flu season using the information on this page.
If your practice has not ordered flu vaccines for 2019/20 you are enouraged to do so as soon as possible.
Resources for GP practices and clinicians:
To access records for patient flu vaccinations sign up to Sonar (it only takes 2 minutes). You can also acknowledge your patients or mark as NOP direct from the system.
Please use the London Flu website to search for pharmacies providing the flu vaccination service in London. Please signpost patients to pharmacies as appropriate.
To arrange a winter wellbeing session for your elderly patients please email Roxanne Rustem and copy in Corinna Hyman.
There are three types of flu vaccine recommended for the 2018–19 flu season:
- adjuvanted trivalent flu vaccine (aTIV) – recommended for patients aged 65+ (see here for patient leaflets)
- quadrivalent vaccine (QIV) – recommended for at risk adults aged 18–65 and at risk children aged 6 months–2 years
- live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV) nasal spray – recommended for:
- children aged 2 and 3 years (via GP surgery)
- school aged children from reception–year 5 (via schools)
- Practices are encouraged to consider the need for flu and pneumococcal vaccination at the same time.
For children with egg allergy/anaphylaxis concern see this guidance – email referral letter to David Elliman.
For children in school years 1–5 who missed school vaccination – advise them to contact Carol Howard, Immunisation Team Co-Ordinator, CNWL on 020 3317 5076.
IT & Systems:
The IT & Systems team are planning to update their flu searches, alert protocol and add vaccine protocol for this flu season. An update is expected in mid–late September. Please check the Overview of IT Tools page for updates.
If your query is not answered on this page, please email the Public Health Commissioning team.