Macmillan has developed a cancer course specifically designed for Practice Nurses. The course will run over five days during March to June 2018. Dates for the course are:
14 March 2018
11 April 2018
2 May 2018
6 June 2018
20 June 2018
The objectives of the course are to:
- increase Practice Nurse ability to undertake Cancer Care Reviews
- increase understanding of the changing cancer pathway
- improve understanding about the consequences of living with cancer
- improve confidence in sign posting cancer patients to resources and services
It's hoped that Practice Nurses will adopt a changed pattern of care, involving more proactive and scheduled interactions with people living with cancer. They will be a resource for colleagues in their practice.
Macmillan has designed core course content that all courses across the UK will cover. There will also be local information provided. Modules will include:
- the Recovery Package
- prevention, early detection, treatment and palliative care
- the changing story of cancer
- the impact of cancer
- communicating with people affected by cancer
Macmillan are seeking experienced Practice Nurses who can play a more active role in supporting cancer patients.
Practice Nurses taking part in the course will be expected to attend all days and undertake cancer work within their practices using their new skills and knowledge. Practice Nurses will need to complete a workbook for this course. Ideally, participants will have in-practice support from one of their GP colleagues and the backing of the practice as a whole to ensure this work is integrated.
If you have any questions, contact email@example.com or call 07834 192232. View the leaflet about the course.
To apply, contact: LondonSELearning@macmillan.org.uk.
Please note that the course is free and that backfill will not be available for practices. Each delegate will, however, be able to claim for their expenses using the Macmillan claim form.
The Royal Marsden School, Fulham Road, London, SW3 6JJ